Monday, October 30, 2023

The Aversion to Speak Out

After what I perceived to be the most horrific event in my lifetime that occurred on October 7 in Israel whereby thousands of innocent Israeli citizens, from new borns (some not yet even born) to elderly Holocaust survivors were murdered in the most horrific way, would change the world. 

I mistakenly thought that the the world who mostly stood silent over the decades of constant attacks on my Jewish homeland would finally wake up and defend her. From Arab suicide bombers in restaurants in Tel Aviv to daily barrages of rockets that have been shot randomly at Israelis, those attacks have never stopped even for a day since the recreation of the modern state of Israel in 1948. The only break in these attacks occurred when all out wars from all of Israel's neighbours stormed in. 

Surely now people will finally speak out against our enemies I hoped. Yes, many did. And I applaud them loudly and believe me, I try to thank them all. But sadly, so did many friends of our enemies. I'm sure the world has witnessed the vile behaviour of many people especially universities (both students and their administrations), governments, main stream media and many institutions who have sided with some of the most inhumane, gruesome pigs that ever crawled on this planet. It's very hard to believe that this is the case. But it clearly is.

That said, this is not my focus here. 

Instead I want to bring your attention to the insidious behaviour of so many 'nice' people who refuse to speak out about what just happened.

Recently, an actor by the name of Mathew Perry died. He was famous for his comedic role in a TV show called Friends. This sad news was plastered all over the media and continues to make the rounds. I'm sure you've all heard of this news by now. 

I usually listen to the radio in the mornings when I'm brushing my teeth. I listen to a Toronto station called Q107 on an FM station. 

As expected, they haven't stopped reporting on the passing of the actor. 

What I have yet to hear a peep however, was talk about the devastating attack from Hamas and the gruesome murder of 1400 innocent Israelis or their kidnapping of 240 Israelis who are still being held deep in the bowels of Gaza!

I'm sure that if you gave this some thought, you too can identify the unconscionable, aversion of people to speak out about this atrocity,  wherever you might live. 



This is just one tiny example of what I'm talking about. I find this behaviour in particular to be very offensive. When a tragedy on a large scale happens anywhere in the world, people talk about it. That is normal human behaviour. Except when it happens to Israelis. Then it's forbidden to do so. 

I'm sure that the management of many of these places have strict rules about talking about politics or religion or most controversial subjects. But what happened that day has nothing to do with politics. It wasn't controversial in the least. It was a tragedy of epic proportions and people everywhere, at the very least,  should be talking about it and learn from it. 

I urge you all to speak up now. Keep the memory of the hostages alive. BRING THEM HOME! That was the message of the rally I went to yesterday at Earl Bales park in Toronto. 

short video of the rally (vigil)

What happened to 1400 Israelis on October 7 can happen anywhere in the world at any point in time. Sticking your head in the ground will surely not prevent it. Simply having the courage to speak up about it now, might help prevent it. Do it!

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To retaliate, by waiting more than a week, and announcing to Gaza and the world the fact that isreal is at WAR with Gaza, and the Palestinian people who voted in Hamas, and live with them and support them, is the normal and proper response by a country.
To build thousands of miles of sophisticated tunnels, live, hide, and plan the annihilation of innocent men women and new born and unborn children, isn't the behavior of normal people, it is the behavior of RATS.
The Media and Heads of State from around the world should be ashamed, allowing antisemitic demonstrations.
I wish for a permanent peaceful resolution but alas the PLO, PA, etc continue to refuse any previous solutions offered.

Leon Kushner said...

I wouldn't insult rats. Well said! Thank you!